More Than 17,500 Attend ISTELive 23 In-Person and Virtually
PHILADELPHIA – More than 17,500 attendees, both in-person and virtual, attended ISTELive 23 — one of the largest edtech conferences in the world — from June 25-28 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Thousands of teachers, edtech industry leaders, and pioneers from across the world came together to explore the best strategies for using technology for effective teaching and learning.
For four days, the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) hosted more than 1,000 programs and sessions presented by 2,098 global experts and filled an exhibitor hall with more than 1,100 companies that are providing innovative edtech solutions for practical strategies that can be implemented in classrooms, schools and districts.
This year’s conference included Mainstage presentations from icons in education and beyond, including:
- Tyler James Williams, star of the popular TV show “Abbott Elementary” as well as a performer and producer.
- Joyce Abbott, an educator who was the Inspiration for “Abbott Elementary.”
- Alie Ward, host of the popular science podcast “Ologies,” and a science correspondent and media producer.
- Kevin Roose, award-winning New York Times technology columnist and co-host of the “Hard Fork” podcast.
- Crystal M. Edwards, Ed.D., the dynamic principal of William D. Kelley School in Philadelphia.
- Sawsan Jaber, Ph.D., NBCT, IDEA Teacher of the Year.
- C.L.Ai.R.A., an autonomous AI woman of color and ambassador for humanity.
- Sharif El-Mekki, founder and CEO of the Center for Black Educator Development.
ISTELive 23 was hybrid, allowing attendees to join in person or online. The event drew more than 17,500 attendees from 82 countries and all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
Attendees were the first to hear the latest news from ISTE, including the launch of the new ISTE Seal. Sessions provided insight ranging from AI, digital citizenship, equity, and AR and VR to project-based learning and reimagining the blended classroom setting. Other highlights of the conference included the ISTEverse and Discovery Museum where attendees could explore a VRcade and ARcade, a connections theater showcasing real ways teachers are implementing these experiences, an arena for gamification elements, and even VR wellness experience to explore mindfulness in the virtual realm.
This year's conference was supported by nearly 400 volunteers and staff. It garnered an extensive presence on social media with more than 31,000 posts using the #ISTELive hashtag – reaching 42 million people during the course of the event.
ISTELive 24 will be held in Denver, Colorado, June 23-26, 2024. Learn more here.
The International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) is a nonprofit organization that works with the global education community to accelerate innovation in education through the smart use of technology. ISTE sets a bold vision for education transformation through the ISTE Standards, a framework for rethinking education and creating innovative learning experiences. ISTE hosts ISTELive, one of the world’s most influential education events, and offers a wealth of professional learning opportunities focused on technology in education. For more information, visit iste.org.